FAT32, exFAT, and NTFS is a file system, which is basically designed to store the data on the drive, commonly known for organizing the drive. The main aim of FAT32, exFAT, and NTFS is to attach filenames, permissions, and other such attribution.
Among the given three file system NTFS is the most known and modified version. In which FAT 32 is the oldest one and it is the modified version of the FAT, although exFAT is the more modified after FAT32. NTFS is very well known for its high compatibility with other operating systems.
File Allocation Table 32 (FAT32)
FAT 32 is the oldest among the three also it is the modified version of FAT. FAT32 in which FAT stands for the file allocation table, which keeps track of file and helps the device to locate it on disk. FAT 32 is basically known for its support of up to 2 TB of hard disk storage. It is one of the oldest file systems which worked in windows 95. FAT32 is an improved version of FAT, it also improves the efficiency of the hard disk.
Feature of FAT32
- It is the oldest one and supports drive up to 2 TB.
- FAT32 is more flexible to have, it’s an ordinary one and one can have anywhere in the drive.
- It is also very flexible to relocate any file and other such documents.
Extended File Allocation Table (exFAT)
ExFAT is one of the oldest file allocation tables, which was introduced in 2006, optimizes flash memory like USB flash drive and SD cards.
Features of exFAT
exFAT is the modified version of FAT32, but it has some features which are very much similar to the FAT32. Here are the main features of exFAT.
- No short file names. It has a maximum of 255 words as a file name and known as Unicode on disk.
- Cluster size up to 32 M. exFAT is basically good for the larger disk as compared to FAT.
- It does not maintain 2 FATs, it only maintains 1 FAT, in the compressed version.
- File name hashed. Through this feature, one can easily search for a file.
NT File System (NTFS)
NTFS is developed by Microsoft, it is a journaling file system and commonly known as the New Technology File System. it is used in the windows system. It is well known for its security feature for the file server. It also provides data access control and also maintains the integrity of the confidential documents, files and data.
Features of NTFS
The features of NTFS are very prominent and hence it has permission to share folder, whereas the other two file system doesn’t allow to share. It also allows permission to individual files. It is known for a simple design. Here are the main features of NTFS.
- Encryption- It allows storing the file on NTFS volumes. At the same time, it is known for its security, it saves the file from unauthorized access to keep the confidential files and other such things safe.
- Disk quotas- It provides disk quotas for NTFS volumes, which is basically used for monitoring and limiting the space.
- Reparse point- Reparse points are applicable to NTFS files and folders, it is an additional feature that is used by different storage features in windows.
- Volume mount points- It provides access to the root of volume from 1st folder to second through administrators.
- Sparse files- It is one of the best features which allows creating a large file but with minimal space.
- Distributed link tracking- Through this feature, it provides the shortcuts to files.
FAT32, exFAT, and NTFS are a file system, among the three NTFS, which is the latest and more commonly used, whereas FAT 32 and exFAT are the old version of the file system. Nowadays the more prominent file system is NTFS.