Setting a password expiration is necessary, it keeps the information and other documents safe so that no one can predict the password so changing the password frequently or set up an expiration date is the best thing to do. The steps to do this varies depending on whether you use a local or Microsoft account to log in to your Windows PC, So we’ll look at the process for both.
For cybersecurity, it is important to change the password of your PC. Here you will get the process of setting a password expiration on Microsoft account.
Set a password expiration date in Windows 10
Setting password expiration on PC keeps the documents and other information safe. There are various ways to set up a password expiration, here you will get the process of setting a password expiration on Windows 10. Setting password expiration is nothing but just the validity of a particular password.
Set a password expiration date (Microsoft account)
Windows 10 ask every time to link your device to Microsoft account rather than other such accounts. Setting a password expiration on Microsoft is much easier and that works online only. The Maximum age of password on Microsoft is 72 days i.e, 2.5 months approx.
- Go to the Microsoft account Sign into the security area.
- Sign in to the account.
- Now change the password.
- Set the new password, as you cannot use your existing password or pin.
Maximum password age through local accounts
One can also set a particular time period for a password in a local account. The default time period of a password is 45 days, although you can change this and you will get a notification prior 5 days to the expiration.
- Open the group policy editor
- Now you will get the instructions, follow them
- Now go to the menu.
- Now go to the computer configuration.
- Open windows setting.
- Go to the security setting.
- Open password policies through account policies.
- Now change the password expiration limit, set the password.
- Click on OK.
- Save the settings.
Maximum password age through Powershell
Powershell is the best to maximize the password age. it can also behave as a substitute to the local group policy editor process on windows 10.
- Right-click on the start menu
- Click on the Window PowerShell admin
- Type net account to find the limit of password
- You can also change the time limit of the password
- The maximum time limit of the password applied to all the accounts.
Set a password expiration ( local account )
It is possible to set the password expiration date if you use any other account irrespective of Microsoft
- Go to the password setting
- Disable the setting from ever expiring to the time period you desire
- You can also use Windows + R keys for a short way
- Now go to the user account setting
- Open advance user management by clicking on the advance
- Go to the menu
- Select properties from the menu
- Disable password never expires to a particular time period
There are various pros and cons of changing the password very frequently and setting the duration to the password, It increases the security, prediction of a password by other is not possible if you change it frequently. To maintain the cybersecurity, it’s a good idea to change the computer’s password every once in a while.